Thursday 9 June 2011

Gardener's droop?

I didn't even go looking for this one, the broad bean plant gave it to me on a plate:


Broad bean plants have to be strong, these pods certainly demand support. This year and last, the first few weeks seemed normal with my broad bean plants growing straight up with strong stems. Then, come May they lose the plot and go off in all sorts of directions. A combination of wind and a disappearing gardener probably doesn't help, but i did try and support them this year with canes at the end of each row and string to hold them in place. I just forgot to keep adding string the higher they went!



This can lead to weird and wonderful structures, but it can't help efficient bean growth. Does anyone have photos of how broad bean plants should look rather than my twisted versions?






No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.