Monday 9 May 2011

All the ducks...

Do you remember that Lemon Jelly song 'Nice weather for ducks'?



Can't stand it.

When was the last time you saw a duck frolicking in a downpour? That's right, never. Because you had run for shelter and weren't paying attention. Believe me, ducks are no happier in a deluge than in a pancake.

There was a collective outpouring of relief from gardeners this weekend as the rain came. Tweets, posts and blogs everywhere praising those little drops from the heavens. My guess is that they were mostly from people who never get round to watering properly and think that old grey beard up on that cloud has freed them from guilt.

However, if you have a growhouse you can't escape the guilt:

One of my many dry seedlings


Yet what I can't understand is that if perfect growing conditions are a delicate balance between nutrient, air and water in the soil, and if you have to watch just how little or much you water plant by plant, then surely a soaking from above is akin to building a house of matchsticks only for God to be holding a lighter?

Perhaps not. I was advised by a work colleague that rainwater doesn't penetrate the soil in the same way as normal watering, and that in summer a good soaking once a week is worthwhile. Putting aside that one type of water is better than another (?!) it seems that even if you forgot to water your garden all last year (you know who you are!), stick to once a week and you may get more than just rhubarb this year.

No comments:

The Hapless Kitchen Gardener

My photo
Bristol
I only feel hapless because some people make it look easy to grow 10 ft marrows or a banquet of greens whereas my courgettes got nabbed by killer slugs and I only got one raspberry. So tips and stories from people less hapless than I are more than welcome. As a disclaimer though, none of my comments should be taken as expert advice on which you can rely! © Unless stated otherwise, and with the exception of guest content where that guest retains copyright, all photos and posts are the copyright of Tom Carpen and may not be used without permission.